There has been a return of traffic robberies on Lagos and Port-Harcourt roads. Most incidents typically occur between 05:00 and 06:30hrs; 19:00 and 22:00 respectively.
- Keep valuables out of sight while driving. The use of mobile devices including cell phones, iPads, Laptops etc. should be minimized while in traffic especially at indicated flash points. Items like handbags, laptop bags etc. should be kept in the boot while driving in the traffic.
- Avoid shortcut areas and use major streets and roads as much as possible.
- Always keep windows up and car doors locked while commuting.
- Where possible, have a decoy bag with no essential items in it close by.
- Make effective use of your car mirrors to monitor any activities around your vehicle.
- Where possible, avoid patronizing street hawkers while in traffic.
- Try to stay calm and avoid sudden movements in the event of a robbery attack and comply with their demands.
Below are identified black spots – Members are advised to ensure they commute in day light hours in these areas or out-rightly avoid the area:
• Oshodi Bridge
• Oshodi – Isolo Expressway
• Toyota Bus stop
• Airport road
• Costain/National Theatre
• Third Mainland bridge
• Gbagada – Oworonshoki – Ketu Expressway
• Mile two
• Badagry Expressway
• Ojota – Berger – Long Bridge, Dopemu Agege, Pako Bus stop
• Agege Motor Road
• Babadisa – Ibeju Lekki
• Ada George
• Diobu – Mile 1, 2 & 3 – Emenike areas
• Wimpi – Rumuepirikon – Iwofe area
• Akpajo – Eleme and Refinery junctions – Onne (FOT junction) areas
• 1st & 2nd Artillery areas
• Abuloma – Fimie – Ozuboko areas (shop and house robberies).
IADC Nigeria Chapter